Umpire Code of Conduct
Our policies represent those passed down from Netball Australia, Netball Queensland and the Australian Commission for Children and Young People.
- Treat all Players fairly and with respect at all times
- Accept responsibility for all actions taken. Exercise reasonable care to prevent injury by ensuring
players play within the rules. Reasonable care consists of advising the players of illegal body
movements, showing due diligence in detecting infringements and penalizing rule breakers.
- Place the safety and welfare of the players above all else. Although it is the responsibility of
umpires to ensure that the playing conditions, you should make a decision as to whether the match should commence or continue due to adverse conditions, safe environment or foreseeable dangers.
- Umpires must be impartial and maintain integrity in their relationship with other umpires, players
- Avoid situations which may lead to a conflict of interest.
- Be courteous, respectful and open to discussion and interaction.
- Value the individual in sport. Ensure the players have the opportunity for discussion with you after
- Seek continual self-improvement through study, performance appraisal and regular updating of
competencies. Maintain or improve your current badge level and seek continual improvement.
- Be a positive role model in behavior and personal appearance by maintaining the highest
standards of personal conduct and projecting a favorable image of netball and umpiring at all
- Refrain from any form of personal abuse towards players. This includes verbal, physical and
emotional abuse. Be alert to any forms of abuse directed towards the players from other sources
while they are playing.
- Refrain from any form of harassment towards players. Treat all players fairly within the context of
their sporting activities, regardless of gender, race, place of origin, athletic potential, color, sexual
orientation, religion, political beliefs, socio-economic status, and other conditions.
- Show concern and caution towards ill and injured players. You should enforce the blood rule and
apply procedures regarding ill or injured players according to the rule book. Common sense must
be applied in all cases.